A Perfect Low Calorie And Vegetarian Recipe For Sweet Desserts

By Molly Bickford

Now, I believe that a dessert has a particularly interesting role to play in an evening meal. It's the part of the meal that people look forward to even when they have had a hugely satisfying entrée and main course!

So, really, it is not there to fulfill a nutritional need but it is there to fulfill an emotional need! Therefore, you do want it to say something like:

I'm so glad that you've enjoyed yourself so far. But before you go, here's a little kiss to let you know how sweet you are!

Desserts are meant to be sweet, which is why they are also called sweets. And when there's sugar, there are calories, often more than you really need.

One of the health gems that I have discovered along my vegetarian journey is that there are some naturally occurring calorie-busters, or 'thermogenics' that you can easily incorporate into almost any recipe. My all-time, all-purpose favorite is ginger - fresh, root ginger!

I have to admit, that as a child, I used to resent the flavor of ginger in my food and especially in my dessert! That, as far as I was concerned, was an unforgivable transgression! Strangely enough, as I got older I acquired a taste for ginger. Could this have had anything to do with the fact that I was beginning to hold more weight on my body?

Was my body helping me incorporate a natural calorie-buster in my diet? I don't know. However, I can tell you about some of the remarkable properties of the humble ginger and that, if you're game, you'll discover how friendly it is with so many different food ingredients, from tea to toast!

Aside from being a natural calorie-buster as I mentioned before, ginger helps in digestion. It is particularly good for relieving stomach bloating and cramps. It is also great for relieving nausea and morning sickness and is a great blood regulator, improving circulation and reducing LDL cholesterol.

I could go on, but let me give you a tantalizing, low-calorie, vegetarian dessert recipe that includes ginger. You can of course omit the ginger in but I urge you to give it a try. Chances are you'll be begging for more!

Now you've got to hand it to this one for its looks, taste, texture, nutritional value and calorie consciousness!

Carrot Ooo la la!

  • ½ cup carrot, freshly and finely grated
  • 1 packet gelatin, orange flavored
  • 1 slice ginger, peeled and finely grated
  • 1 teaspoon Sangria/orange flavored liqueur

(If you've got a particularly sweet tooth, add 1-2 tablespoons of honey).

Simply prepare the gelatin following directions on the packet. When set, add all the ingredients, mix well, scoop into small dessert bowls and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve decorated with a sprig of mint or a small wedge of orange.

Discover all the other great low calorie and vegetarian recipes just waiting for you at my low calorie and vegetarian recipes website or at http://www.low-calorie-and-vegetarian-recipes.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Trends For 2009

How Do You Cook Hamburgers on a Grill?

How to Make a Gourmet Chocolate Gift Basket