Is There Such a Thing As a Perfect Pork Roast?

By Crecia Perez

I'm a pork lover. My family has been pork lovers since before I was born. Our family prefers to serve a roast pork loin at Thanksgiving rather than a roast turkey. I have been in search of the perfect pork loin for most of my adult life.

I searched the web to find recipes and cooking tips. I was surprised to also find some interesting food products for sale such as Napa Valley natural fruit purees, sashimi tuna, American Kobe Wagyu beef and a new item to me, Kurabuta pork, also referred to as Berkshire Japaneses Pork. I came to learn, this pork variety has been celebrated in Japan and around the world for many reasons, but especially for its marbling and flavor, which are its most distinctive characteristics.

American Kurobuta Pork loin is lean, with small, fine streaks of marbling that make each cut sweet, tender, and juicy. Unlike traditional white pork that can have a tendency to be bland and dry, American Kurobuta pork is much darker in color and rich in flavor. In fact, the Wall Street Journal has dubbed it "The Other Red Meat." I wasn't sure whether to opt for either a bone-in rack which includes the pork ribs, and a boneless pork loin. I decided on the boneless.

My boneless pork loin arrived within two days of ordering and came packed in a Styrofoam cooler. Cooking pork has been a hobby of mine and I decided to keep this attempt simple. Garlic, olive oil, and Kosher salt. In the oven for 45 minutes at 350 degrees and left to rest on the counter for another ten minutes while I finished up the sides and accompaniments.

The pork roast cut like butter and the juiciness was amazing. As stated, the pork meat was slightly darker and had a complexity of flavors unlike grocery store pork. Although a little pricier than grocery store pork, this pork was worth every penny. I will definitely buy Kurobuta pork again and this time invite some friends to share in this gastronomic treat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Trends For 2009

How Do You Cook Hamburgers on a Grill?

How to Make a Gourmet Chocolate Gift Basket