Reviving, Reusing and Substituting For More Savings on Your Grocery Budget

Reviving Veggies: Did you know?

We have all been taught that we can revive celery by placing it in a container of cold water and let it sit in the refrigerator but did you know, you can do that to other vegetables too?

My lettuce had become wilted, but not brown on the edge of the leaves. I tore the wilted leaves from the core of the head [do not use a metal knife as it will darken the leaves] and emerged them in iced water for 10 to 15 minutes. You will want to drain the water and place the lettuce on a towel to dry before quickly placing them in a plastic bag and back in the veggie drawer of your refrigerator. You can also, stand them, with the torn ends in a glass of water in the door of the fridge for a day. The water needs to be about two to three inches deep in the glass. I was pleased to see that the wilted leaves came back to their original crispy fresh state. I have even resurrected other greens using the glass method.

Radishes, spring onions and carrots can be brought back to life for future use with this tip, also. I hate to waste food and I'm not fond of wilted lettuce leaves in salad so this was a delight to discover. Not only did I not waste the food (and money I spent on it), but I also could enjoy it longer in its revived state.

Substituting: Did you know?

What!?, there's no eggs in the house and you have already started mixing the brownies. Mayonnaise can be used in place of the egg. You will get the same soft wonderful tasting brownie you have always had using 1/4 cup mayonnaise in place of the egg.

The same can be said for exchanging apple sauce for oil in a cake recipe. I have come to like the texture of the apple sauce so much in my cakes, I sometimes use it, even when I have oil.

If you want an exotic flavor in your next yellow cake, add 1/2 cup pumpkin pie mixture, instead of an egg or the oil. The pumpkin flavor and spices are an amazing surprise when biting into the cake.

Faylee James is a Life Coach/Writer/Speaker from Northeast Tennessee, who has an above average interest in people, cooking and living life to the fullest. Her website http://www.HassiesKitchenTable.com is in honor of her mother who passed away recently. For more recipes and thoughts, visit her website or blog at http://www.HassiesKitchenTable.blogspot.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Trends For 2009

How Do You Cook Hamburgers on a Grill?

How to Make a Gourmet Chocolate Gift Basket