Cook Out Served Me An Oreo Roachshake

This story was sent to me by a woman who had a very bad experience with Cook Out.

I had always enjoyed eating at Cook Out Restaurant. Being a successful entrepreneur, I even thought of opening a Cook Out in my native state NJ where they would love a place that served their type of food and milkshakes, with late night hours. I enjoyed at least 3 times a week, eating at a particular Cook Out Restaurant on Wilmington Street in Raleigh. It was close to home and my business, and both my son and I were in love with their milkshakes.

On Sunday, June 17th 2007, that all changed. I pulled up to Cook Out at 8:44 pm and ordered one of my regulars, a BLT, a large Sweet Tea and an Oreo milkshake. While driving, I munched down the BLT quickly followed by a little of the tea. I started drinking the milkshake from the straw, stopping about half way down. I stopped at one of my cousin's house, I blew my horn and she comes outside. As I'm talking with her, I turn on my inner truck light so I can find a CD she had asked for. I keep the light on as we're talking, and I open the milkshake and start eating the remainder with a spoon. About 4 or 5 scoops later, CRUNCH! I screamed "What the Hell is that?" and immediately spit it back in the cup for further investigation. I've eaten Oreos since I was at least a one year old and I know what an Oreo taste like and this was no O-R-E-O. I slowly spooned the thing out of the cup in disgust to find a whole dead COCKROACH!! I immediately started throwing up outside my truck. My cousin was asking what was it as she got in and looked in the cup herself, as I couldn't half talk."Eeew! That's nasty!" she says. I had eaten almost the whole milkshake, and the roach was in engulfed in there the whole time.

After halfway gaining my composure, I called over to speak with the manager at Cook Out. After hearing my complaint Cook Out's Manager who's name is Melvin quickly replied, "So…would you like another milkshake, or your money back?" I was sick all over again. Sick in thinking of every milkshake my son or I have ever eaten at Cook Out.

Instead of taking Melvin back the milkshake, on the advice of a friend I put the milkshake in my freezer, and waited until Monday morning to call Cook Out Corporate Headquarters in Greensboro, NC. After being still nauseous with a headache, I visited my family doctor. He said I indeed had a stomach virus, but was unsure if a roach caused it or not. After I left several messages on Monday, by Tuesday, a supervisor finally picks up the phone by the name of Brian. I described to Brian in detail of what happened. "Eeeww!" is his initial response when I told him I chomped down on the Cockroach. He asked did I have my receipt and the milkshake with the roach in it, to which both I replied yes. He then advised me he would contact the Area Supervisor for Raleigh, and get back with me. A few weeks went by and no response. I really liked Cook Out and was hoping they would resolve this horrible incident that happen to me.

Unfortunately, Customer Satisfaction is not 100% Guaranteed like it says on the Cook Out bags, and cups. I am very disappointed in my once favorite fast food restaurant.

To see photos and more information about this story go to http://www.handicapablemedia.org/Photography.htm

Merle Adams a person with a disability is a freelance writer and photographer writing for a variety of newspapers and magazines. Her photographic vision has led her through advertising worlds, featuring her work internationally in exhibits and publications.
Read more of her articles at http://www.handicapablemedia.org

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Trends For 2009

How Do You Cook Hamburgers on a Grill?

How to Make a Gourmet Chocolate Gift Basket